Here are some notes and quotes following the Mariners’ 5-4 win over the Chicago White Sox Thursday night.
· Jean Segura (1×3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB, IBB) extended his hitting streak to 17 consecutive games with a 3-run home run to left field in the 5th inning…during the streak (4/30-c), Segura is batting .387 (29×75) with 15 runs, 6 doubles, 2 home runs and 11 RBI in 17 games.
o Matches Mike Trout (4/17-5/5) for the longest hitting streak in the Majors this season.
o Ties Alex Rodriguez (5/5-23-/00) for the 2nd-longest hitting streak by a Mariners shortstop in club history…the club record by a Mariners shortstop is 20 games, shared by Yuniesky Betancourt (5/20-6/9/07) and Rodriguez (8/16-9/4/96).
· Jarrod Dyson (2×4, 3 R, HR, RBI, 2 SB) became the 11th different Mariners player (done 20x) to hit a home run and record at least 2 stolen bases in a game (last: Michael Saunders, 6/23/12 at SD)…marks the 1st time in his career that Dyson has accomplished this feat.
o Has matched his single-season career-high with 2 home runs (also: 2013 and 2015 w/KC).
o Recorded his 2nd multi-steal game of the season (also: 4/26 at DET).
o Over his last 5 games (5/13-c), he has reached base 10 times (5 H, 3 HBP, 2 BB).
· Over the last 6 games (5/12-c), Mariners pitchers have held their opponents to 8-hits-in-46 at-bats with runners in scoring position for a .174 batting average…the White Sox went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring positon tonight.
· Sam Gaviglio made his first career Major League start.
o Became the 10th different Mariners starter used this season (also: Hernandez, Iwakuma, Paxton, Gallardo, Miranda, De Jong, Overton, Bergman and Weber)…Seattle is the first team in the Majors this season to employ 10 different starters…marks the 2nd season in club history that the Mariners have used at least 10 different starters in the club’s first 42 games (also: 1997, 11 starters).
o The Mariners are now 4-5 in 9 starts by starters who were not in the Opening Day rotation (De Jong, Overton, Bergman, Weber and Gaviglio).
· Ben Gamel (2×4) has hit safely in 12-of-21 games since being recalled from AAA Tacoma on April 26, batting .309 (25×81) with 15 runs, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 13 RBI in 21 games.
o Marked his 10th multi-hit game of the season…his 10 multi-hit games rank T3rd on the club (also: Guillermo Heredia), trailing Jean Segura (15) and Nelson Cruz (13).
· The Mariners are now 17-9 this season when scoring at least 4 runs…since May 3, are 9-1 when scoring 4+ runs.
· Mariners relievers allowed 3 home runs, matching a season-high (also: 4/25 at DET).
CHICAGO WHITE SOX:
· Todd Frazier and Tim Anderson hit back-to-back home runs on the top of the 8th inning to tie the game briefly 4-4…marks the 3rd time this season the White Sox have…