With electrical power being such an everyday presence in modern life, inattention to electrical hazards can lead to burns, shocks and electrocution. It is important to always be mindful of any potential electrical risks, both on and off the job.
Food services industries are some of if not the biggest users of electrical equipment and appliances. Long-term and frequent use can make commercial kitchen equipment dangerous. This is compounded by the fact that the food industry staff are under immense pressure to get food to pass on time and may be sorely tempted to go for speed at the expense of safety.
UEC offers the following advice for dealing with electrical safety in the food industry:
Water and electricity do not mix:
Turn off all appliances not designed for wet areas. If water is spilled or seeps in, avoid plugging and unplugging with wet hands. Never handle electric appliance with wet hands.
Maintain all electrical installations in good working order:
Ensure that equipment is regularly inspected, tested, tagged, and maintained.
Look out for frayed cords, exposed wires, and of course signs of smoke coming out of the appliances. Remove faulty electrical equipment from the kitchen at once, and make sure it is not accidentally re-used by attaching a warning label.
Eliminate defective or worn electric wires:
Do not use items with damaged cords with wires are exposed. Replace or throw away electrical items that have frayed or cracked electric cords. Also, do not use damaged sockets.
Do not overload power points:
Don’t plug a bunch of stuff into one outlet or extension cord. It could damage the electrical system or even cause a fire. Switch off electrical items that are not in regular use. Provide ample power points and ensure that power boards have overload and surge protection. Double adaptors and extension leads are not recommended for the food industry.
Leave wiring to professionals:
Only hire a licensed electrician to…